Library History Highlights
1922 Harris County Library System opened a library station in Pasadena with about 100 books. The library was only open on Saturdays and customers were limited to three books at a time.
1929 Bond approved for new fire station, city hall & library building. The library occupied the right end.
1941 Library temporarily moved to Ola Mae Kennedy house on West Broadway.
1946 Library moved from Ola Mae Kennedy house to Pasadena’s school district office.
1953 Shell oil Company built and donated to the city its first free standing library. Opened March 2, 1953 - It was a one story building of modern design, located on Tater Street (today Pasadena Blvd.) between Thomas & Harris Street. County library system book collection returned to Harris County.
1962 Moved library to 1201 Minerva location.
1970 David Coronado Neighborhood Center Library opened.
1974 Doubled the size of main library.
1978 Began automating library operations.
1979 Began offering free tax help.
1982 Provided public with access to an Apple computer.
1987 Began checking out videos.
1989 Began circulating compact discs.
1991 Received LSCA grant for branch library construction.
1992 Opened Fairmont Branch Library.
1997 Public direct access to Internet.
2000 Received Gates Foundation grant.
2001 Opened Public Computer Lab with Gates Foundation grant.
2003 Celebrated library’s 50th Anniversary; Created library web page.
2004 Began renovation of Central Library with foundation repairs.
2006 Received Brown Foundation grant for $250,000; Received Houston Endowment grant for $500,000.
2007 Began renovation of the Central Library with 9,300 sq. ft. addition.
2016 Renovation of restrooms and bookstore.
Pomeroy, C. D. (1993). Pasadena: The early years. Pasadena, TX: Pomerosa Press.
Pomeroy, C. D. (2011). Historic Pasadena, Texas: An illustrated history. San Antonio, TX: Historical Pub. Network.
Yesteryears in Pasadena 1895-1941: A collection of oral histories of long time residents of Pasadena, Texas. (1987). Pasadena, TX: The Harris County Genealogical Society.